Friday, October 16, 2009

And the Train is Long Distance

This is a small poem for my lover who is far to far away.

My eyes are darker now
so I can fly along
with your loping grace
and that steam fueled heart

It wasn’t so long ago
all I could do was hop
from branch to branch
hoping to catch a glimpse

Then there on the rails
I caught you, my prey
you were willing to be
kissed by talons and beak

And the woman on my wall,
well, maybe she holds this all
in her small brittle mold
an idol of two yearning forms

Maybe she’s the white haired one
and we’re familiar friends
she feeds us in her cabin
so we’ll come back again

She offered me some hot tea
to put me on the fast tracks
yet still, I wait for bridges to lift
so I can fly even faster.

I wonder when I see you
and I’m laying in your bed
will the smells come back with me
so I can last a little longer?

I wonder, will I stay
and melt into your walls
to soak up your dreams
and quench our lonely love?

Every time the distance feeds
seems it should get easier
but I find my need grows stronger
for the big cat to warm my feathers


No comments: