I just discovered that Nemi has made it across the ocean! I randomly discovered her while visiting a tiny village in Norway, the name of which I can't even remember. I was in a store and saw the cover of the comic and was instantly drawn to it. I got it and made my Norwegian cousin, Egil translate every sketch while traveling by bus and boat along the fjords. I still have the book, a treasured keepsake from my European visit. I occasionally peruse it's pages, trying to remember what they say, trying to pronounce the Norwegian words, conjuring a distant memory of the warm hospitality of my Scandinavian family. When I got back to the states, I searched the internet for more of my favorite gothic comic girl and was hard put to find a site that made any sense to me. Eventually, I found that she was syndicated in the Metro, some UK rag (hey I don't know what it is... A newspaper? A tabloid? I'm just glad she exists in a language I can understand!) so I could occasionally check out what she was up to. Recently, however, I found her at my local library! How exciting, no? Yes! I am so getting a copy of the English version book.... um, someday when I can justify spending whatever it costs to own it... For now, I've got it on loan from the library. Long live the Library! I love you Library, you're like my second love... My first? Well I'll let you guess at that one!
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Nemi!
I just discovered that Nemi has made it across the ocean! I randomly discovered her while visiting a tiny village in Norway, the name of which I can't even remember. I was in a store and saw the cover of the comic and was instantly drawn to it. I got it and made my Norwegian cousin, Egil translate every sketch while traveling by bus and boat along the fjords. I still have the book, a treasured keepsake from my European visit. I occasionally peruse it's pages, trying to remember what they say, trying to pronounce the Norwegian words, conjuring a distant memory of the warm hospitality of my Scandinavian family. When I got back to the states, I searched the internet for more of my favorite gothic comic girl and was hard put to find a site that made any sense to me. Eventually, I found that she was syndicated in the Metro, some UK rag (hey I don't know what it is... A newspaper? A tabloid? I'm just glad she exists in a language I can understand!) so I could occasionally check out what she was up to. Recently, however, I found her at my local library! How exciting, no? Yes! I am so getting a copy of the English version book.... um, someday when I can justify spending whatever it costs to own it... For now, I've got it on loan from the library. Long live the Library! I love you Library, you're like my second love... My first? Well I'll let you guess at that one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment